In his opening essay recently on the Sunday Edition, CBC host Michael Enright came to the aid of the Western Standard in its struggle with the Alberta Human Rights Commission over the Standard's decision to publish the so-called "Danish cartoons". Enright notes that most mainstream media demurred from publishing the cartoons, an act which he compared to reporting an earthquake without showing pictures of the damage. He asks some perfectly reasonable questions about why other Canadian magazines and newspapers have not sprung to the defence of the Western Standard in what is clearly a matter of press freedom. And, not surprisingly, WS Publisher Ezra Levant was quick to pick up on the "amazing support from a surprising source" (from within the great Satan, the CBC). If you'd like to listen to the essay, go to the Western Standard blog and click on the link.
Wednesday, May 03, 2006
Recent most-read posts
IS THERE SOMETHING WE SHOULD KNOW? Send info about your company, your magazine or the Canadian magazine industry to impresa(at)inforamp(dot)net
Magazine-related sites & blogs
- Masthead magazine (online)
- This Magazine
- Graham F. Scott
- CoversSell blog (Scott Bullock)
- Geist magazine
- Punch in Canada
- National Magazine Awards Foundation blog
- Quillblog (Quill & Quire)
- Impresa Communications Limited
- And Now the Details (Jeff Dworkin)
- Ryerson Magazine Publishing Certificate
- Abacus Circulation Inc.
- IPOsgoode (intellectual property site)
- National Magazine Awards
- Canadian Writers Group (agency)
- Professional Writers Association of Canada
- Story Board (online community)
- Canadian Society of Magazine Editors
- Magazines Canada
- ABC Canada Literacy Foundation
- Canadian Journalism Project (J-source)
- National Advertising Benevolent Society (NABS)
- Kenneth R. Wilson Awards
- Word Count:Freelancing in the Digital Age
- University Affairs article wins writer health rese...
- Government repudiates 2/3 of pledged support for C...
- Laframboise named exec editor of LOULOU
- Now THAT'S recycling
- John Macfarlane to receive National Magazine Award...
- Walrus lumbers away with 49 Magawards nominations
- Quote, unquote
- Masthead reports draft guidelines for advertising
- With TQ, is Globe heavying up on contract publishing?
- Storyteller magazine editor shortlisted for Arthur...