Monday, April 04, 2011

Not a triumph -- magazine shows lack of historical perspective

I'd prefer to believe the editors who wrote or approved the cover line on the current issue of Argyle magazine were somehow unaware of the implication of their main coverline -- Triumph of the Will
It lives forever in infamy as the title of filmaker Leni Riefensthal's propoganda movie commissioned by Adolf Hitler to trumpet the 1934 Nazi party congress at Nuremberg.
We're in agreement with twitterers who pointed out this unfortunate and tasteless gaffe.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why does the headline on this piece link to Argyle's site?

11:38 am  
Blogger D. B. Scott said...

You're right to question this. I have changed it.

12:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTF!

12:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Given most journalists' historical knowledge, I'm surprised they don't agree with Bluto of Animal House: "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

3:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm waiting for their Lebensraum issue. Should be big.

4:40 pm  
Blogger typicallydia said...

At a not-that-long-ago Glue Magazine production meeting, we had a conversation about a cult film that none of the students truly recalled. Associated heads and decks were misunderstood and what they picked was clunky and useless. I wondered why they had given the piece the go-ahead knowing nothing of the subject. Were they relying on osmosis? In this case - it is the opposite. Powerful words they must have assimilated from somewhere. Too bad it was from such a tragic source. My lesson learned: next time someone says "oh, wow, what was that from!? I can't remember!" it best be fact checked.

6:20 pm  
Anonymous helenahandbasket said...

Wow, typicallydia, reading your comment makes my brain hurt and eyes blink uncontrollably.

"not-that-long-ago" instead of "recent."

You're like a literate Palin -- it's a gift. Don't ever stop.

8:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am an Adelaide club member and when I complained about this issue all I got was blank stares.

3:12 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home