National Magazine Awards, with a deadline of January 13 and there have been a number of changes to the program. These are detailed online; all new definitions are available at http://blog.magazine-awards.com/2011/12/01/2011-national-magazine-awards-whats-new-this-year/ and include:
- Digital magazines (such as tablet editions), companion websites of print magazine and online-only magazines will be eligible for entry in most categories, except Editorial Package and Print Magazine of the Year.
- There are two, new visual categories: Fashion & Beauty has been divided into two distinct categories. The new Fashion category is open to any fashion layout using photogaphy or illustration. The new Beauty category is open to any beauty layout using photography or illustration.
- Conceptual Photography has been renamed Creative Photography, with a revised definition.
- All illustrations larger than half a page must be entered in Illustration and all smaller than half a page in Spot Illustation.
- Definitions of Homes & Gardens and Photojournalism & Photo Essay have been updated.
- All visual categories
other than those for art direction(see comment) are open to all eligible digital magazines, though not web sites.
- The separate categories for emerging magazine talent -- Best New Magazine Writer and Best New Visual Creator -- will be continued, with a $25 entry fee and prize money of $500.
- Small changes have been made to definitions in written categories, particularly One of a Kind and Politics and Public Interest.
Labels: National Magazine Awards