Entries are now being accepted for the Alberta Magazine Awards. The deadline for submission is January 10, 2013. The program is expanded and intends to honour the best individuals and magazines in the Alberta industry; the awards will be presented at a gala dinner March 14 at the beginning of the Alberta Magazines Conference.
This year there are five awards categories that are open to anyone is the magazine industry; other categories are open to Alberta Magazine Publishers Association (AMPA) member magazines only. To see the details of the eligibility and the awards, go to http://www.albertamagazines.com/awards. Among the showcase awards:
- Emerging Writer -- The Amber Webb-Bowerman award was established to honour the early work of writers in magazines who show a high degree of craft and promise; open to post-secondary students and interns in the four western provinces.
- Achievement in Publishing -- open to all magazine professionals in various areas of publishing, including but not limited to publishers, editors, art directors, freelancers, sales managers and circulation experts.
- Editor of the Year -- Magazine editors must have been employed by an Alberta magazine and worked on at least two consecutive issues in the year 2012. Editors of magazines that do not abide by the national Magazine Advertising-Editorial Guidelines are not eligible.
- Best New Magazine -- open to Alberta published magazines that began 18 months ago or less
- Volunteer of the Year -- open to anyone who has contributed more than 30 volunteer hours in 2012 to AMPA or a member magazine.