Visual Arts News has started off 2013 with a brand new website. The magazine is dedicated to contemporary visual art in Atlantic Canada, mostly Nova Scotian art and artists. The website highlights the spring 2013 issue features artists who create their work out of the things the rest of us throw away:
- Peter Dykhuis' creates collages on clipboards inspired by receipts, personal lists, envelopes and credit card bills.
- Swintak and Don Miller created a tower of babble out of objects found in the Confederation Centre's basement.
- Kai Chan creates his sculptures and wall-hangings from ordinary found materials.
- Ehryn Torrell's depicts crumbling urban landscapes; wreckage found at sites of construction, demolition and disaster.
- There's also a conversation with James Guerts and an online exclusive multi-media interview with Halifax-based artist Eleanor King about her recent exhibition Stacks, at the Southern Alberta Art Gallery and her fascination with issues relating to excess, technological obsolescence and environmental degradation.