The Emerge Media Awards were made on March 22, showcasing the achievements of student journalists from across Canada. Emerge was launched in 2015 as the first and only national post-secondary media awards program in Canada.
The awards, administered by the University of Guelph-Humber, recognize the best writing, editing, videography, audio, digital design, communications and public relations done at the post-secondary level. This year, the EMAs attracted more than 250 submissions from universities and colleges from coast to coast. The judging is conducted by an independent panel of industry representatives, including editors, broadcasters, producers, and other media professionals. [Disclosure: I was one of the judges.]
Winners of the 2018 awards are:
- Written Word: Josie Kao - University of Toronto - "Data In A Foreign Land"
- Audio Storytelling: Trent Erickson, Will Gordon, Cameron Honey, Aviva Jacob, Danielle McCreadie, Nermeen Ramadan, Jayde Tynes - University of Kings College - "What If The Halifax Explosion Never Happened?"
- Videography: Caitlin Taylor, Jennifer Ackerman, Janelle Blakley, Josh Diaz - University of Regina - "Severed"
- Multimedia Production: Jolene Rudisuela, Amy Simpson, Lexi Wright - Mount Royal University - "Closing Midfield"
- Photography: Cody Bonner - Mohawk College - "From Above"
- Public Relations: Jason Lau - McMaster University - "Canada is the world"
- Design-Print: Elham Numan, Pearl Cao, Piyumi Konara, Keith Cheng - University of Toronto - "The Varsity Fall Magazine: The Futures Issue"
- Design-Online: Seher Asaf, Francesca Bianco, Sophie Gray, Yusheng Cai, Haley Lewis, Emma Loy, Holly McKenzie-Sutter, Sharon Nadeem,Andrew Seal, Taranjit Singh, Alex Migdal and Anya Zoledziowski - University of British Columbia - Tém:éxw: "Stories Of Land"