Friday, June 25, 2010

Former Cottage Life editor Vanderhoof still enjoying the "liming" life in the Caribbean

The former editor of Cottage Life, Ann Vanderhoof, has been featured by CNN talking about her decision, with her husband, art director Steve Manley, to sail off into the Caribbean. Since quitting their jobs in 1997, the couple spend most of the year on their boat and spend hurricane season in Toronto. 
Vanderhoof has just published a book called The Spice Necklace, which reflects a foodie theme of their lives -- their sailboat is called Receta (Spanish for "recipe") and the dinghy is called Snack. Her previous book was An Embarrassment of Mangoes.
She talks about learning the importance of "liming" in Trinidad.
Liming means just kind of chilling out, kicking back, relaxing with friends, it usually involves good conversation, music and always food and drink.
One of the things that I learned when I left my job and left my old way of life behind is the importance of liming, the importance of relaxing and not running your life according to a schedule all the time.
I find that when I'm back in North America, Steve has to remind me to take time to lime.
You can find Ann's blog and a map of Receta's travels on this website.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home