Käthe Lemon, editor of Avenue Calgary magazine and editorial director of RedPoint Media Group Inc., was named Alberta editor of the year at the Alberta Magazine Awards; they were presented at a gala on Thursday night.The awards are presented by the Alberta Magazine Publishers Association (AMPA).
“To say Avenue magazine is a group effort is an understatement [she said] — it takes all of us as well as having this vibrant city to write about — that makes the magazine all that it is. As in so many facets of this job, I am the voice and face to the work that so many people here do and I couldn't, and wouldn't want to, do it without them. So although it's my name on the trophy, I think it really is a testament to the quality of the whole team and the creative work they do."
Rob Tanner (left) of TannerYoung Publishing (which publishes Where Edmonton and Canadian Cowboy Country) received the Achievement in Publishing Award for his many years of volunteering and media work (he won Volunteer of the Year last year).
Other winners were:
- Best New Magazine: Eighteen Bridges
- Best Alberta Story: Techlife, “Declaration of Independence” by Scott Messenger
- Best Cover: Alberta Venture, “The Green Issue” Kim Larson, art director; Pierre Javelle, illustrator
- Best Feature Design: Wine Access, “Taste to Go” Teresa Johnston, art director; Jared Sych, photographer; Joy Lee, food stylist
- Best Illustration: Alberta Venture, “Aerospace” Sonia Roy, illustrator; Kim Larson, art director
- Best Photo: Alberta Venture, “The Final Cut” Aaron Pedersen, photographer; Kim Larson, art director
- Best Short Editorial: Impact, “You Can Run But You Can’t Hide” by Peter Estabrooks
- Volunteer of the Year: Claire Lacey, Dandelion
Full llist of finalists