Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Guess what I'm thinking

A recent memorandum from newly arrived Maclean's Publisher and Editor Ken Whyte to all staff:

Hello Everyone - As I mentioned on meeting most of you a couple of weeks ago, I'd like your input on how we can continue to improve Maclean's. Please send me your thoughts on any or all aspects of the content and operations of the magazine. I am committed to maintaining the title, the weekly publishing schedule, and the current-affairs mandate, but for the purposes of this exercise let's consider everything else up for discussion.

You might have suggestions for a new regular feature or a better way to organize our production schedule. You might prefer another headline font, more sports, less Canada, more intelligent readers, less columnists. Take a close look at some recent issues and be as nitpicky or as sweeping as you please. I don't want to give you the impression that I'm about to change everything at the magazine, and I can't promise I will act on all suggestions. I'm leaving this exercise as open-ended as possible in hopes that you'll speak freely and candidly about what we're doing. It's an opportunity for me to learn more about you and Maclean's and to set priorities for the weeks and months ahead.

No one knows the challenges and opportunities of this magazine better than the people who make it each week. I promise to read and give serious consideration to all of your comments. I would like to hear from you by the end of next week. Meanwhile, I'm very excited about joining you all on Monday. Best, kw

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home