According to the Atlantic Provinces Economic Council, nearly 13,000 Atlantic Canadians moved to Alberta for work between July 2005 and July 2006. That's not the end of it, according to a story in on CBC.ca.The think tank says the flow of skilled workers west will continue for some time and that's despite efforts like the magazine supplement published this week in several Alberta newspapers, trying to lure homesick Maritimers back. The council said that the impact of this migration of skilled workers will last a decade and the best that Atlantic province employers can do is to emphasize the disparity in costs of living (sky high in Alberta, low in the east).
Monday, December 18, 2006
Recent most-read posts
- Transcontinental Media closing MORE magazine
- YES and KNOW kids' science magazines closed suddenly
- Homemakers magazine being closed by owner Transcon after 45 years
- 5 ways that publishers screw up when it comes to mobile
- Toronto Life readers think it deserves coal in its stocking for suggesting a dog as its #1 present
- Magazine publishers need to think like developers, stop pursuing the wrong goals: software CEO
- "Must be nice" to be a freelancer, eh?
- Handyman Mike Holmes back in print: Make It Right SIP with TC Media
IS THERE SOMETHING WE SHOULD KNOW? Send info about your company, your magazine or the Canadian magazine industry to impresa(at)inforamp(dot)net
Magazine-related sites & blogs
- Masthead magazine (online)
- Freelance Switch
- This Magazine
- Graham F. Scott
- The Writing Concierge
- CoversSell blog (Scott Bullock)
- The Hook (The Tyee)
- Geist magazine
- Punch in Canada
- National Magazine Awards Foundation blog
- Impresa Communications Limited
- John Degen
- Inkless Wells (Maclean's)
- And Now the Details (Jeff Dworkin)
- Ryerson Magazine Publishing Certificate
- So You Want to Start a Magazine?
- Abacus Circulation Inc.
- IPOsgoode (intellectual property site)
- National Magazine Awards
- Canadian Writers Group (agency)
- Professional Writers Association of Canada
- Story Board (online community)
- Canadian Society of Magazine Editors
- Magazines Canada
- ABC Canada Literacy Foundation
- Canadian Journalism Project (J-source)
- National Advertising Benevolent Society (NABS)
- Kenneth R. Wilson Awards
- Word Count:Freelancing in the Digital Age
- Atlantic Magazines Association
- It's promotion, but is it news?
- Custom publishing now accounts for 25% of marketin...
- FHM's raunchy gambit fails, magazine to close
- Canada Post contribution to Publications Assistanc...
- Building on success
- National Post is 'winner' of the year for its corr...
- Billable hours in a freelancer's life
- Making sure that what you see is what's there
- Rodale integrates print and online sales
- Dinsdale departs as Walrus ad sales manager