Monday, March 31, 2008

Masthead renovates its online site
top to bottom

The online site of Masthead magazine, the magazine industry trade publication, has been completely and substantially revamped. One dramatic change is that almost all of its content is now free to anyone, with the exception of its resource library; the news service, with original reporting, is now called the Premium News Service (although there is no premium).

For the first time, comments are allowed, forums and RSS feeds are provided. Michael Brooke, founder of skateboarding title Concrete Wave is acting as forum moderator, saying it is a hybrid blog and forum, where readers can respond to his posts, but can also start their own conversational threads.Also, for the first time, Masthead has created a roundup of magazine news from outside of Canada.

Many of these changes reflect things that the Canadian Magazines blog has provided for three years now; whether this causes a migration of readers over there from here, we shall see.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

DB
your site still rocks...
your comments and unique take on things means I will still be returning to this site everyday...

But I did want to take a moment and say "THANKS" for mentioning what we have cooking over there.

My blorum is a great experiment...we'll see what develops.

Ink and paper 4 ever.

M. Brooke

3:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was telling DB's Ryerson class last night about what a great model Masthead has for enticing paid subscriptions through it's online "premium" content and news. After the class he informed me that this had all changed and the site was mostly free(!)

I'm saddened that Masthead didn't give it a better "go"... perhaps it wasn't paying the bills or whatever, but I liked the model and still think paid web content has legs - I'll let you know how we do with paid circ/enhanced subscriber web content.

Ink and paper 4 ever - amen!

2:03 pm  
Blogger Matthew said...

I doubt there's a need to worry about visitor migration. The new Masthead site is very exciting, but suffering from a bit of information overload. I come here, and I'm sure I'm not alone, to get a concise and readable opinion of what's going on in the magazine industry form someone I've grown to respect. They're completely different to me.

I'm interested in seeing how the "blorum" works out; it's not making a whole lot of sense to me right now. Seems a bit like Masthead's wacky cousin...

6:03 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home