Thursday, July 23, 2009

Quote, unquote: Teens don't read? Oh, really

I start out by telling them, in a nice way, that they are misinformed. Clearly, teenagers multi-task and they are voracious with their media usage. But magazines have always been and continue to be a really important source for beauty and fashion trend information for young women. What has been so interesting to me is when you see the success of Twilight for example, which sold 16% of all books in the United States in the first quarter of this year (all four books). I don’t think that those are a lot of adult women reading those titles. So, I think that what people need to understand is that teens, especially female teen have always enjoyed magazines. But advertisers have walked away from this market, and it’s not really a readership problem, it’s an advertising problem.
-- Jayne Jamison, the publisher of Seventeen magazine, the largest teen magazine, telling Samir "Mr. Magazine" Husni one of the ways she responds to suggestions that teens don't read.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeromy Lloyd said...

I agree overall with the assertion that teens do read, but I think she's mistaken about Twilight. Many women in my circle (early 30s) have read or are reading one of those books.

Granted, my circle isn't the entirety of womanhood in Canada, but its saturation in my group suggests its appeal goes beyond Seventeen's demo.

10:18 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home