In exactly a month, Magazines East takes place in Halifax, a day-long series of workshops focussed on the integration of digital and print strategies. Online registration is open. The event takes place March 14 at the Westin Nova Scotian. The cost to members of the Atlantic Magazines Association (AMA) is $75; to non-members $150; to students $60. Among the sessions:
- Terry Sellwood, general manager of Quarto Communications (Cottage Life, Explore, Canadian Home Workshop, Outdoor Canada) and chair of the board of Magazines Canada, talks about learning to look at your magazine as a brand
- Max Brennan, the publisher of OptiMYz, talks about selling magazine advertising, particularly national account obstacles.
- Norm Lourenco and Jennifer Neal from K9 Design Co. take attendees through the redesign of East Coast Living magazine, which won the $25,000 K9 Makeover contest.
- Erin McLaughlin, editor-in-chief of Style At Home takes seminar attendees behind the scenest at a home decor magazine, from pitches and pictures, to photo shoots and touch ups.
- David Fraser and Robert Cowan, partners in the McInness Cooper law firm, talk about copyright and intellectual property issues in the magazine industry.