Regional magazine volunteers of the year named
Volunteers of the Year for 2011 have been named by the five regional magazine associations from across the country, thereby joining Joyce Byrne, who was recently named national volunteer of the year. The five who will be honoured, with Byrne, at the Magazines Canada luncheon on Thursday, June 7 during the MagNet national conference, are:
- Magazine Association of BC -- Jenn Farrell, freelance writer and editor and former managing editor of subTerrain. Currently vice-president of MagsBC;
- Alberta Magazine Publishers Association -- (co-winners) Bobbi Beatty, managing editor of Other Voices; and Kayla Nash, editorial assistant at Lethbridge Living;
- Magazines Ontario -- Christopher Purcell, vice-president of consumer marketing at TC Transcontinental, overseeing the circulation strategy for 15 English and French titles, including Canadian Living, Coup de Pouce, Elle, Style at Home, The Hockey News and Les Affaires;
- Magazines du Québec-- Sylvain Bédard, editor in chief of TC Media's finance group ((Investment Executive and Finance et Investissement) since 2008, Bédard has also overseen Commerce, Commerce Prestige, Affaires PLUS, PME and Vision durable for three years. From March 2000 to December 2005, he served as editor-in-chief and associate editor of Finance et Investissement. He was co-chair of Magazines du Québec in 2010 and 11;
- Atlantic Magazines Association -- Christine Beevis Trickett, editor of digital and print publications for Nature Conservancy of Canada, responsible for the bilingual print magazine The Ark/L'Arche. She has been published in a number of magazines including Saltscapes and The Coast. She is a board member of the AMA and co-chair of the Editors' Association of Canada Nova Scotia branch.