Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Herald magazine discontinued by Nova Scotia's Chronicle Herald newspaper

November 2014 edition
As part of a major layoff and cost-cutting exercise, Halifax's Chronicle Herald newspaper is discontinuing its award-winning current affairs publication, Herald magazine. The decision was announced by Chronicle Herald CEO Mark Lever. 

The Facebook page Friends of the Chronicle Herald Newsroom has reported frequently in recent weeks on the layoffs, buyouts and early retirements being imposed on the newspaper. 

Deborah Wiles, the editor of the magazine and 26-year veteran, is leaving. The magazine had been included with the newspaper  and was available by digital-only subscription. 

When 20 layoff notices (about a quarter of the staff) were made to unionized newsroom staff in October, CEO Lever said they were necessary "as the company adjusts to the rapidly changing environment for newspapers". A union spokesperson said the company was trying to save $1.4 million in the newsroom. Previously, six union members and two non-union members had taken offered early retirement. In 2009, the paper cut 25 positions. Almost all if it was attributed to a significant decline in advertising sales. 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home