It's a rarer treat than it ought to be to read a meaty, moving and excellently written feature such as "Blood Brothers", a piece in the April issue of Vancouver magazine by Timothy Taylor. It's about a battlefield encounter between enemies in the protracted Iran/Iraq conflict, how one saves the other's life, only to meet again, years and appalling tribulations later, in Vancouver. That precis doesn't do the story justice. Only reading it will. [Thanks to Vancouver editor Gary Ross for tipping me about it. He has good reason to be proud.]
Tuesday, March 01, 2011
Recent most-read posts
- Transcontinental Media closing MORE magazine
- YES and KNOW kids' science magazines closed suddenly
- Homemakers magazine being closed by owner Transcon after 45 years
- 5 ways that publishers screw up when it comes to mobile
- Toronto Life readers think it deserves coal in its stocking for suggesting a dog as its #1 present
- Magazine publishers need to think like developers, stop pursuing the wrong goals: software CEO
- "Must be nice" to be a freelancer, eh?
- Handyman Mike Holmes back in print: Make It Right SIP with TC Media
IS THERE SOMETHING WE SHOULD KNOW? Send info about your company, your magazine or the Canadian magazine industry to impresa(at)inforamp(dot)net
Magazine-related sites & blogs
- Masthead magazine (online)
- Freelance Switch
- This Magazine
- Graham F. Scott
- The Writing Concierge
- CoversSell blog (Scott Bullock)
- The Hook (The Tyee)
- Geist magazine
- Punch in Canada
- National Magazine Awards Foundation blog
- Impresa Communications Limited
- John Degen
- Inkless Wells (Maclean's)
- And Now the Details (Jeff Dworkin)
- Ryerson Magazine Publishing Certificate
- So You Want to Start a Magazine?
- Abacus Circulation Inc.
- IPOsgoode (intellectual property site)
- National Magazine Awards
- Canadian Writers Group (agency)
- Professional Writers Association of Canada
- Story Board (online community)
- Canadian Society of Magazine Editors
- Magazines Canada
- ABC Canada Literacy Foundation
- Canadian Journalism Project (J-source)
- National Advertising Benevolent Society (NABS)
- Kenneth R. Wilson Awards
- Word Count:Freelancing in the Digital Age
- Atlantic Magazines Association
- Hearst publishing unveils new "paperless" one-stop...
- Zoomer Media six-month results show $2.8 million t...
- Manitoba magazines conference and Maggie Awards se...
- Two year lockout of Journal de Montréal journalist...
- New online design, travel and food magazine Dabble...
- Momentum, the Vancouver-based cycling magazine, un...
- Another senior digital departure at Rogers Media
- QuarkXPress 9 being released in April
- Modest overall U.S. Q1 magazine ad page growth led...
- British mags association head warns of damage from...