Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Ryerson Review summer issue looks (among other things) at influence of ads on fashion pubs

The summer issue of the Ryerson Review of Journalism (RRJ) is being officially launched on Thursday 5 starting at 5:30 at the the Gladstone Hotel in Toronto (1214 Queen Street West). Editor Sara Harowitz wrote a reflection for J-source.ca about the experience, which she described as being "team cheerleader and chief worrier" -- not a bad description.
"For me, the moment came during one of our many display-writing meetings. I was sitting at the head of the table, pen in hand, staring at the white board along with the rest of the Ryerson Review of Journalism Summer 2012 team. Our display consultant, Steven Trumper, sat at the other end of the table, shooting ideas at us (he’s a genius, that man). As I sat there, sprawled across a series of chairs, I couldn’t help but think to myself: This is it. This is the stuff. And by “the stuff,” I mean: What I want to do for the rest of my life. It was a cheesy, nerdy, rather embarrassing internal moment, but it sticks with me.
When I was in third year I remember arguing with myself over whether I should take part in the student-run Review or if I should find an internship. (In Ryerson’s journalism program, fourth-year students must choose one or the other.) In the end I came to the conclusion that the Review was where I should be, and I’m so thankful that I did."
When emeritus professor and inveterate editor Don Obe, who created the magazine stream at Ryerson, founded the Review in 1984 he was said to envision "a watchdog on the watchdogs"  and that's what the twice-a-year magazine, produced by final-year students, consistently delivers.  For instance, the summer issue has Stephanie Fereiro exploring the influence of advertising on fashion publications, and Daniel Viola looking at the implications of staged news segments. There are also profiles of Amanda Lang from the CBC and Adam Gopnik of The New Yorker. The issue is now or will shortly be on fine newsstands near you. Encourage watch-doggedness by buying a copy.
[Disclosure: I teach part-time in the Chang School for Continuing Education at Ryerson, though this has nothing to do with the Review or the journalism school.]

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if journalists will finally speak honestly about Canada's coup in Haiti? Or if this will simply sugar-coat how the Toronto Star helped kidnap children after using force to destroy a democracy.

I suspect a narrative that supports a neo-colonial fantasy of benevolence.

11:42 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home