|Best cover finalists|
The new awards, which inevitably are seen as keen competitors for the National Magazine Awards, They are being awarded after deliberation of a panel of 40 judges, co-chaired by Stanley Péan and Soraya Peerbaye, selected a shortlist and winners "based on set of guiding principles for adjudicating and celebrating excellence in Canada's magazine media," said a Magazines Canada release. Among some of the notable highlights cited:
- There was strong interest from new and independent magazines across the country this year: notably, five new magazines that were launched in the last year: Curated Life, Dînette Magazine, Hayo, Inspired Dining by Canadel, and Peeps.
- Mark Pupo of Toronto Life is a double nominee, in Best Service and Lifestyle Story.
- Maclean's and its individual creators have been nominated for a total of six awards, including: Best General Interest Story (Michael Friscolanti), Best Science, Business and Politics Story (Nancy Macdonald), Best General Interest Magazine, Best Multi-Platform Story Treatment, Best Multi-Platform Magazine Brand, and Best Art Direction of an Entire Issue (Stephen Gregory).
- FLARE and its individual creators have been nominated for a total of four awards, including: Best Fashion and Beauty Story (Tiyana Grulovic, Courtney Shea, Amy Verner, Nancy Won), Best Entertainment and Celebrities Story (Jessi Cruickshank), Best Multi-Platform Story Treatment, and Best Cover.
- esse arts + opinions and its individual creators have been nominated for two awards, including: Best Literature and Art Magazine, and Best Art Direction of an Entire Issue (Studio Feed).
- There are seven finalists in three Best Story categories whose work was published by Toronto Life: John Hofsess, Jean Grant, Malcolm Johnston, Emily Landau, Rebecca Philps, Mark Pupo and Caroline Youdan.
- There are four finalists in three Best Story categories whose work was published by The Walrus: Teva Harrison, Liz Howard, Lauren McKeon and Mary Rogan.
- There are three finalists in two individual categories whose work was published by Maisonneuve: Heidi Berton, Chris Scott and Marchien Veen.