Interesting longish post on the blog Gawker making the case that much of the good at David Remnick's New Yorker magazine is due to the superlative hires made by his predecessors, most particularly Tina Brown. Fascinating as such a parsing of the comings and goings can be for magazine junkies, even more fascinating is the sheer volume of talent that has flushed in and out of this iconic title in the past 10 years. No matter how much it might be said that Brown trashed the venerable title, she also had an eye for good people, good writers and editors, many of whom make the magazine what it is today.
Friday, April 06, 2007
Recent most-read posts
IS THERE SOMETHING WE SHOULD KNOW? Send info about your company, your magazine or the Canadian magazine industry to impresa(at)inforamp(dot)net
Magazine-related sites & blogs
- Masthead magazine (online)
- This Magazine
- Graham F. Scott
- CoversSell blog (Scott Bullock)
- Geist magazine
- Punch in Canada
- National Magazine Awards Foundation blog
- Quillblog (Quill & Quire)
- Impresa Communications Limited
- And Now the Details (Jeff Dworkin)
- Ryerson Magazine Publishing Certificate
- Abacus Circulation Inc.
- IPOsgoode (intellectual property site)
- National Magazine Awards
- Canadian Writers Group (agency)
- Professional Writers Association of Canada
- Story Board (online community)
- Canadian Society of Magazine Editors
- Magazines Canada
- ABC Canada Literacy Foundation
- Canadian Journalism Project (J-source)
- National Advertising Benevolent Society (NABS)
- Kenneth R. Wilson Awards
- Word Count:Freelancing in the Digital Age
- Smashing idea -- an international logo design cont...
- The Week publishes a whole issue online, with sing...
- Whither the freelance union?
- One progressive mag slags another over Afghanistan...
- Oh Baby! mag lands distribution expansion with Pha...
- Time's new look, looks familiar, says Maclean's:
- Brunico founder sells out to investor group
- The healthy workplace and the healthy subscriber b...
- Paton's YTV Whoa! spins off e-zine
- Canadian Geographic lays of 8 more staff; outsourc...