Monday, June 15, 2009

Cirque du Soleil lawyers demand apology and retraction from Maclean's

Lawyers for Cirque du Soleil are demanding an apology and retraction from Maclean's magazine for its June 15 cover story Sex, Drugs & Acrobats.

According to an article published in Le Soleil, the problem is not the article so much as the way the cover associates the circus, its employees and its artists with the personal life and habits of the founder Guy Laliberté as detailed in a book by Ian Halperin, La vie fabuleuse du créateur du Cirque du Soleil, around which the article is based. The book details what might be described as the extreme party tastes of the millionaire circus founder.

Cirque has nothing to say about this book of gossip and tittle-tattle published in the tabloids, said lawyer François Fontaine. "What is serious, is that this is found in a serious magazine. Halperin's book is not about the shows of Cirque, the stories are malevolent and [make] inappropriate associations and this is what we are denouncing."

Related stories:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit, when I saw the cover I thought it was referring to the performers. When I read the story, I understood that it was not, but if I had not read the story I would have been left with the wrong impression.

3:40 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home