Manitoba magazine people will want to consider signing up for the Magazine Makeover weekend offered by the Manitoba Magazine Publishers Association (MMPA). It's on March 28 and 29 at the Fairmont Hotel in Winnipeg. Keynote speaker on Saturday is Lisa Tant, Editor-in-Chief Flare Magazine discussing the Flare makeover experience.
- A day-long InDesign workshop with Andrew Klapatiuk on Friday. Participants should have some InDesign experience or knowledge and are encouraged to bring their own laptops. Software will be available for use during the session.
- Copy editing workshop with Cynthia Brouse. What are the new rules? Where does that comma go? Do you even need one? Cynthia will guide you through some common grammar dilemmas and provide a fact checking primer.
- An Editor Panel reviewing submissions from freelance writers: Penni Mitchell, Managing Editor, Herizons; Ritchie Gage, Publisher and Editor-in-Chief, Manitoba Business Magazine; Carly Peters, Editor, SMART Magazine; and Nelle Oosterman, Associate Editor, The Beaver. Moderator: Morley Walker Arts Editor, Winnipeg Free Press. (Writers interested in submitting a query letter for adjudication should visit ww.manitobamagazines for more information.)
- Penni Mitchell of Herizons discussing "going green" and the response from their readers.
- Doug Coates discussing print makeovers -- when it's time for a full or partial makeover, doing it in-house or outsourcing
- Joanne Bristol of Border Crossings and Space Cadet’s Bill Reburn will share the process of Border Crossings' recent website redesign. Jamis Paulson of the MB Writers' Guild will present alternatives - in-house site design and maintenance - the how to.
Labels: professional development